The United States of America fears that some Americans in the Democratic Republic of Congo may have contracted Ebola. The outbreak was first detected in the city of Bunia in Ituri Province.
CDC avoids confirming infected Americans
During a press conference held on May 17, the Director at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) responsible for monitoring Ebola infections, Dr. Satish K. Pillai, was asked whether any Americans had been infected. However, he avoided giving a direct answer.
ALSO READ: Rwanda Temporarily Closes Rubavu Border as Ebola Outbreak Spreads in DR Congo and Uganda
STAT News reporter Hellen Branswell told Dr. Pillai that reports suggested some Americans might have been infected. She also asked whether they could be evacuated to a place where health officials could monitor them more easily.
Dr. Pillai replied, “CDC and its offices in that country are working with partners from international organizations and the Embassy so that we can monitor every issue and every need. This situation changes very rapidly, so for now we will continue to monitor it.”
Journalists press for transparency
Mike Stobbe of Associated Press repeated Hellen’s question. He told Dr. Pillai that journalists still needed more clarity on the matter. He said, “I know this government usually wants things to be transparent. So what would you answer to this question without avoiding it?”
Dr. Pillai replied, “We do not discuss or speak about people’s private information. If the U.S. Government has other information that it should share with you, we will continue to share it with you.”

Before the press conference, CDC announced that it was helping partners evacuate “a small number of Americans directly affected by this outbreak.”
The Washington Post reported that those Americans included a family working for a non-profit organization operating in Ituri.
Reports say evacuation plans are underway
On May 17, 2026, STAT News reported that unnamed officials confirmed America suspected some Americans might have been infected. The country is also looking for ways to remove them from the DRC.
Among those Americans is one person who showed Ebola symptoms. Officials therefore want to remove the person quickly from the DRC so they can receive urgent medical treatment.
The newspaper also reported that America is searching for a safe quarantine location. There, health officials can test the people to determine whether they are infected or healthy.
Sources also said officials have not yet confirmed whether these Americans will be taken to the United States. However, discussions continue about moving them to a U.S. military facility in Germany.
Ebola outbreak continues spreading in the region
The first person who showed signs of this Bundibugyo type of Ebola died in April 2026. However, officials confirmed the information late, and the disease had already spread to Uganda.
The Ministry of Health of the DRC confirmed that 88 people have died.












































